Updated: Mar 25, 2020
Enjoy this tasty snack and alternative way to utilise and diversify your use of maize meal . A deviation from savoury sadza and porridge.
1/2 cup room temperature butter, cubed
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large, room temperature egg
2 teaspoons honey
1 1/4 cup self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
3/4 cup maize meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered ginger depending on how strong you like your ginger biscuits
Equipment and supplies
Oven, wooden spoon, whisk, baking/wax paper, non-stick spray, large mixing bowl, sieve, timer
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, line two baking trays with wax paper and spray evenly with non-stick spray.
2. With your wooden spoon, cream the butter and both sugars together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Add the vanilla, egg and honey to the bowl and whisk until combined.
4. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and salt and stir well until a thick dough forms.
5. Roll approximately 1 tablespoon of dough into a smooth ball and place on wax-paper lined oven tray. Repeat with remaining dough and place the balls on the tray with the empty space of two balls between them.